Thursday, August 23, 2007

ACS (I) C Rugby 2007








































ACS (I) beat St Andrew’s 10-7 in the National Schools' C Division rugby final.

Both teams were worthy finalists, having registered convincing victories over rival teams in the preliminaries.

The ACSians were the first to settle down into the game. Captain Low Zhende scored a try early in the first half. It was not an easy spot to convert but winger Mattias Chia sent the ball soaring through the posts. Score: ACS (I) 7 – St Andrew’s 0.

St Andrew’s had the opportunity to close the gap in the first half through a penalty but failed to convert.

The Saints returned purposefully in the second half to level the score at 7-7. Jay Hykel converted Lester Wong’s try.

Shortly after, a penalty gave ACS (I) the opportunity to break the deadlock. Matthias Chia was again sure-footed, garnering the valuable 3 points. Score: ACS (I) 10 – St Andrew’s 7.
ACS (I) was able to hold the Saints 10 – 7 till the final whistle, winning the Goh Keng Swee Shield for the 11th consecutive year.

On taking the crucial penalty kick in the second half, Mattias Chia said: "I wasn’t nervous. I took three breadths and did what I had to do."

Captain Low Zhende added: "We came (into the game) in full intensity. We expected Saints to come back strongly in the second half but we knew the ACS spirit would last us through."